My Story

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Doulos

I visited the Doulos today. It’s a ship that goes around the world organized by a Christian society. The main attraction there is the book fair. Actually it was quite a small book fair. I think the ship’s main job is to spread the word of God. Anyway I’ve been to this ship the previous previous time it was in Port Klang. This weekend is the last weekend the ship will be in Klang. After this it’ll be setting off for Pasir Gudang. Today I went there with my mum and her friend. My mum’s friend’s nephew is volunteering on the ship. Since he was working there, we got to tour around the ship. If it weren’t for the tour, I wouldn’t have gone there. Cos the book fair area was small and stuffy. There were lots of ppl cramped in the small area. It was so hot…

Anway, my mum’s friend’s nephew, D Way, what a cute name, brought us around the ship. The place is like a small town…they have cabins (where they sleep of course), a clinic, school, dining area, kitchen and even a fire station. D Way also showed us where he worked, the engine room, the only place that’s hot. He even explained to us how the engines work. He just finished a biotech course and now he’s doing engineering…haha. But I doubt he minds at all. He says that it’s a very good experience. They really learn a lot. His volunteering period is 2 years. There’s also a temporary period of 2 months for those who are interested but they do not learn as much. But, if you want to volunteer to work on the ship, you have to pay them instead of you getting paid. Guess it’s something like a on-job training thing. Weird but I guess the volunteers will feel it’s worth it.
posted by z_jun at 2:30 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home